Friday, December 6, 2013

Neon Feathers

I'm still working through some of my recent acquisitions, forcing myself to use them so I can put them away. This round I chose my WPlus9 Fanciful Feathers stamps and dies. Here's the resulting card, then I'll explain:


It took me three days to make this. THREE DAYS. Stamping is HARD, people! Er, I mean difficult.

My card started with an idea I had to use the teeny tiny feathers from the set to make a border. That actually worked. Then I die-cut a bazillion of the feathers, then stamped and stamped until I got three of them mostly lined up. I gathered the three feathers in a cluster and moved them around for about 48 hours.

I struggled with a sentiment until I decided to use this one from the Simon Says Stamp For the Record set. Then the feather placement worked for me. I used black & white twine to offset the black ink I used for the sentiment. The pointy tail-ends of the feathers weren't long enough to cooperate with the bow, so I glued that sucker twine down, both back and front, with Glossy Accents. It's not going anywhere.

After I got the feathers situated, I decided the row of tiny stamped feathers looked disembodied, so I cut a narrow strip off of a wide piece of washi tape and added it under the row of tiny feathers. I think it helps to anchor them.

Last, I added some Neat & Tangled neon sequins, and a strip of card stock I colored with Hero Arts neon yellow ink.

In the end I think it's pretty busy, but not too bad.

Oh, two tips. One, washi tape is easy to cut, since you can just stick it to your paper trimmer like this:


Second, I have a problem with my sequins flying all over my table, then I find them all through the house, so I picked up this tiny scoop at The Container Store (I have no affiliation with them, I just love the place). I pour the sequins from the tiny bag into the scoop:


use what I want, then pour them back into the bag. I love this thing!

In other news, we are in the midst of our first real snowfall here in the Miami Valley. I love snow. It's like a damper, making it so peaceful and quiet outside. I'm also kinda happy a neighborhood kid stopped by and offered to shovel and salt my walk, driveway and sidewalk. I offered him hot chocolate, but he said he was okay. It's still snowing, so if he comes back I'll ask him again. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: Neat & Tangled neon sequins (the variety pack is currently sold out,but the individual colors are available), misc washi tape, black & white Whisker Graphics Divine Twine, and the following:



3 comments:

  1. Stamping IS hard - and difficult, too. Normal people just don't understand what we put ourselves through to make a card for them. I think it turned out beautifully and I love the dancing feather border. Good tips about the washi tape and the adorable little scoop. It's a good thing I don't live near a Container Store, I'd fall in love and be even more broke than I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how that card was coming! So glad it turned out great in the end. We don't have any container stores around here but I bought a cute divided compartment container at the dollar store last night to store my growing sequin collection. My evening is complete now that I have had my chuckle while reading your post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)