Friday, March 28, 2014

Where Is Spring?

I don't know about where you live, but here in SW Ohio, Mother Nature has been having her way with us. One day it's 60F, then it snows that night. It's crazy, I tell you!

There is a robin that hangs out in my back yard, and Bobra is terribly distracted by him. He "talks" to the robin from the safety of his indoor perch, and I wonder what he'd do if I ever let him outside (which I won't.)

Also, I've made a lot of pretty trash lately, so the other day I tried to combine a few challenges to jump-start my mojo.  I tried to combine the now-expired Colours and Sketches color challenge:


(though mine ended up more on the blue side), with the also-expired Merry Monday Christmas Challenge:


where I used the sketch as a starting point, but I didn't make a Christmas card ... you see how this is going, right?

Here's my card, then I'll explain more:


I used (for the first time!) my Stampotique bird that I water colored as a robin. And yes, he is spitting.

You can see my attempts at layering in order to follow the sketch, but I only managed three of the banners. Also, my sentiment is wonky since I am old and my hands are no longer as steady as they used to be. Plus, I was too lazy to draw lines. I think the wonky letters go fine with the spitting robin, though.

I heat-embossed the robin, and knowing that Copics don't like black embossing (they seem to do fine with white, though), I chose to watercolor the robin. I smooshed some Distress Spiced Marmalade and Black Soot inks onto my craft mat, spritzed them with some water, then used a dry brush to spread it on the image. I only slipped once or twice. ;/

Then, even knowing Copics don't like black embossing, I went around the outside with a very light blue Copic, being very careful not to touch the embossed edge.

With all the layers and banners, I had to raise up the horizontal piece, so I added two black brads since the backs wouldn't be a problem. I think they anchor the horizontal piece, too.

I kinda like how this turned out, and it definitely expresses our collective sentiment about Spring. I am sooo ready for it. In fact, I've arranged for my garden to be tilled early next month. I cannot wait!

Thanks for stopping by!

Products used: Stampotique Shouting Bird, vat of clear embossing powder, SU Calypso Coral card stock, misc black brads, Tombow adhesive, and the following:



8 comments:

  1. I feel just like that robin - where IS Spring?? The wonky letters do go perfectly with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that robin! So cute! In S. CA, we didn't have a winter, which is hard to believe with the rest of the country suffers. In return, our earthquakes are shaking things up here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, your birdie is adorable! I think he is crying, not spitting, lol. Weather is the same here in MN; nice today, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your birdie is adorable! I think he is crying, not spitting, lol. Weather is the same here in MN; nice today, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am crying along with your robin...as a so cal transplant this winter in maryland has gone on long enough. We just might be in spring, its been raining all day, but it is warm enough out for open windows. I love the smell of rain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sentiments exactly! Great card, that robin's expression is perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  7. All hail the mighty spitting robin! This is a very cute card. That is one upset robin I tell you and for good reason too. That spring thing certainly is elusive and slippery this time 'round.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)