Tuesday, September 2, 2014

SOS #167: Don't Crimp My Style

It's Tuesday, and time for a new challenge at Shopping Our Stash. This week's theme is Don't Crimp My Style, and we'd like you to use a crimper. If you don't have a crimper you can use corrugated cardboard instead. OR, you can use Ric Rac, since it's wavy ribbon.

I used my crimper to make this:


This is another card made from my UFO pile. I made the embossed & inked background a few months ago when I was playing with my go-to Online Card Class water color technique. I wondered what would happen if you first embossed a background, then stamped an inked acrylic block over it. What you see above is what happens, and I kinda love it. But I'd made several, and this one was left in the UFO pile, so it finally got used. Go, me.

Oh, back to today's challenge: Crimping. I started off with an experiment: I crimped a piece of Kraft card stock, then die-cut some hearts from it. I knew some of the crimping would flatten out, but I wasn't sure just how much, so that part was the experiment. Even though about half the volume was squished, I kept the hearts since I think they nicely cut all the bright colors in the background.

After I'd assembled the card, I added some crimped leaves. For these, I die-cut them first. Then, with the leaves still in place (not popped out yet), I ran the whole rectangle through the crimper, then popped out the leaves. This let the leaves retain all of the nice ridges from the crimper.

Here's a detail shot so you might actually be able to see what I'm blathering on about:


I was attempting to channel my inner Lauren by following the current sketch from Cardabilities:



Since there's so much going on here, and it's sooooo far outside my comfort zone, I went pretty much with the example element shapes, and I'm kindof happy with how mine turned out.

So, I think you should go into your stash and find either your crimper or some hoarded corrugated cardboard and play along this week over at SOS. And make sure to check out the projects by my teammates!

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: Class A Peel pink dot sparkles, various Distress inks (I've forgotten what I used to make the background), and the following:




9 comments:

  1. i think your inner lauren might be cooler than my inner lauren!!! :) i definitely *LOVE* this card with all its essperimental elements which add up to PERFECTION! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! The paper crimper makes a come back!!! Love your ombre embossed background!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice take on the sketch. Very pretty!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been so long since I used my Crimper I probably don't remember what to do. Great challenge and love your card. The hearts are so pretty against that background.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the effect the crimper gives. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic card Leslie! I love the background you created and those crimped hearts and leaves make me wanna dig out my paper crimper!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leslie, this is nothing short of crimping magic! And what great tips you just casually tossed in there! Thank you! I love the idea of the embossing and then smushing with an inked block and dieing but not popping before crimping. I'm going to pin this cousin so pretty and also to find these tips, say, in five minutes from now after my short term memory evaporates! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic card! I just love your background, so many wonderful shades of reds and pinks! Great use of your crimper too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ACK! Utter sweetness. I love the holographic stickers underlining the sentiment, and the kraft hearts & leaves are just right. I can't believe you crimped the leaves & didn't kill everything into confetti! I bow to your crimpy Highness ;)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)