Wednesday, January 7, 2015

CASEing Susan

You know how you sometimes have an idea for a card, and you think about it, sometimes for years, then when you finally get all the parts-is-parts and it starts to become a reality, you see someone else has just made the exact same card? Yeah, that happened.

I've had the WPlus9 Pretty Patches: Umbrella stamp and die for a long time, maybe years, and I've thought how cool it would be to have it on a raindrop background. I finally got a raindrop stencil, and planned to make the card very soon, when I spied this card on Susan's blog. I guess it was a good idea.

So instead of me just making this card out of my head, it's turned into a CASE. Here's my card, then I'll whine some more:


Please note that my card is not one-layer, nor does it use color wheel opposite colors, but it does use an umbrella with raindrops. Susan is a master at CAS and one-layer cards. Me? Not so much. So when I say I CASE her, it's a relative term.

I started out by die-cutting a white umbrella and putting it on the card front for reference. Then I put the stencil over the white panel, and with a dauber and my Simon Says Stamp Sea Glass ink I colored the raindrops around the umbrella.

About that umbrella: I'm not feeling the love.  The die (to me) is a different shape than the stamped image. The die has points where the stamped image has squared-off points. The three separate umbrella parts images would fit better in the die-cut than the one-piece umbrella image, but I know me pretty well, and the chances are less than zero that I'd successfully align all three stamped images onto that one die-cut, so I went with the single full umbrella image and cut the points into ... points.  Whatever.

I could have been smart like Susan and just stamped the image right onto the card front, but I think we've already established that Susan and I are not in the same league. And anyway, stamping directly on a card front makes me itch. She has no illusions that I'll enter her One-Layer challenges.

After I put the white panel onto a pool note card, I went over the rain drops with my clear Wink of Stella pen. You'll have to trust me on that.

So, that's one card I can remove from my mental "some day" list. I may play with it again, and I may find I need to just purge that stamp set and die. We shall see.

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: remnant of SU designer paper (umbrella), SU black bling, and the following:


2 comments:

  1. Bwahaha!!! My "umbrella with raindrops" card isn't so unique that your vision became a CASE. Umbrellas block rain, and any stampy representation of such is hardly worthy of an intellectual property license! Your card is delightful, and it is YOU, my friend!

    I do have a cream for that itch, though. It's called ItsOnlyPaper, also sold under the name Don'tPanic.

    That stencil is fabulous, BTW, and I WILL NOT run out and buy it. Oh, no. I will NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got it out of your system...I hate when that happens, good for you for going ahead with it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)