Sunday, September 13, 2015

Another Shaker Card

When I first saw this Happy Birthday circle die from Simon Says Stamp, I had a few ideas for using it. I like it when I have the ideas before I buy it, and I'm not all caught up in the release frenzy.

May I just say that I may never make this card again. What a comedy of errors. I will call it a learning process, and just move on.

Here's the card, then I'll explain:



Everything I did created an opportunity for fixing it before I could take the next step. I had to get very creative.

It all started when I added Distress ink to a piece of white card stock, then die-cut the Circle Happy Birthday. Then the fun began. I die-cut the Circle Happy Birthday again from a white panel, to use to place the colored die. In hindsight, I should have just stuck it to the white panel.

But nooooo, let's make it difficult! I ended up cutting a circle from a piece of green paper and placing it over/behind the acetate. (Top white panel, acetate, green paper with the circle cut out.) This is what makes the spaces in the letters green, to match the paper I put behind the shaker. If I hadn't done that, then the white fun foam would have shown through the spaces in the letters. Trust me, that wasn't pretty.

Then I cut some fun foam and added that layer, filled it with some Martha Stewart confetti stars, and finally added another piece of green paper for the backing.

It looked unfinished, so I added the cupcake that was die-cut at the same time as the words, and added a white top to it as icing. I glued a few stars on it as sprinkles.

If I ever make this card again, I'll just stick the die-cut Circle Happy Birthday to the white card base.

All in all, this turned out okay. I'm sure it can be done easier than I did it! But time spent in the craft room is never wasted. You always learn something, even if it's what not to do.

Thanks for stopping by!

Stuff I used: acetate, MME Oxford enamel dots, and the following:





7 comments:

  1. Sometimes the pain in the but cards end up being the best of the lot. True in this case. I'm glad we got to see you one and only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did turn out well, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inlaid die cuts are always so much fun, then to add it being over a portion of a shaker card and you have fun times ahead! Great job, wonderful card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant card! I love it! Every day is a school day!
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a really good learner of what not to do! That doesn't mean I won't do it but.... at least I can say "Oh yeah...I knew better." Great card and that it was inlaid adds to it. I think that is a great die but I'd be forever stumped over what should go inside the circle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huzzah to you for persevering, as I'm not sure I would have. But then, I've already decided shaker cards are not really for me. The end result is at least excellent, so that makes up for the pain and suffering, I hope!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you really think! :-)

PS: I've had to disable Anonymous comments, because the spammers were killing me. If you are unable to comment, please email me your comment and I'll get it posted for you. Sorry. (stoopid spammers)